Google Assistant can be quite helpful, as it can almost do everything online for you, even making donations on your behalf. You may have seen the assistant popping up every now and then even if you haven’t used it as such. This is because it is on every mobile phone that operates the Android operating system, that makes it exist on over one billion devices.
Admittedly, it can be quite helpful at times. It can schedule your tasks, help you with searches, and suggest music among a number of other things. However, it does have the peculiar habit of popping up time and again unwelcomed. This can get very annoying especially if you’re doing something on your phone which the Assistant interrupts.
It can also be a little creepy to hear the robotic voice emanating from your pocket all of a sudden. In fact, it scared the socks off me one night when I was fast asleep, and it suddenly decided to activate itself and become vocal.
Why Does Google Assistant Pop Up?
Google Assistant usually pops up if you press your home button for fractionally too long. Alternatively, it can also happen even when your phone is resting peacefully in your pocket if it has a physical home button. Certain companies have also incorporated a special button on their phones, usually located on the side of the phone that brings up the Google Assistant.
If you’re reading this article, it is probably because you have had enough of Google Assistant’s unpredictable antics. However, you no longer need to fret. We have got you covered. Here are two possible solutions to the seemingly inescapable conundrum.
Deactivate it Completely
You can deactivate it completely if it is proving to be too troublesome to handle. Here are the steps you need to follow.
- Long press the home button on your phone so that Google Assistant pops up (for the last time)
- Press the blue image on the right that looks like an email or mailbox icon.
- Then proceed to press the three dots located on the upper right side of the screen
- It will then show a drop-down list. Tap the Settings option.
- Once the settings menu open, browse down to the Devices.
- Press the Phone icon located under devices.
- Toggle the Google Assistant slider to the left to disable it.
And voila! Google Assistant will no longer pop up uninvited.
Disable the Home Popup Button
Alternatively, you can disable the home button function linked to Google Assistant. This is a less permanent solution that will save you from the constant pestering of the AI. The procedure is straightforward for most Android apps.
- First, you will have to press the Settings button on your android drop down menu.
- Thereafter, select the Applications’ icon.
- Move onto the Default Applications options
- Press the area where it says Device Assistant app.
- There, you will be able to decide which app you want popping up when you long press the home button. You can also choose no app if you want the shortcut to be disabled for all applications.
A more extreme method of disabling the Google Assistant is by uninstalling the OS updates and reverting to an older version of it. However, this will disable other features that are provided by the more advanced operating system. Therefore, you should ideally weigh up your options before taking such drastic action that can have permanent consequences.
So there you have it. Two simple and one not so simple way of removing the Google Assistant menace from your life!