Amazon’s virtual assistant Alexa is a useful tool, providing access not only to your media library and smart home accessories, but also to pretty much the entirety of the internet. Want to know tonight’s movie showtimes? Ask Alexa. Want to know the weather for the next couple of days? Ask Alexa. Want to order your groceries online? Well, you get the picture.
But did you know you can also have a little fun with Alexa? Or rather, that Alexa can have a little fun with you? Programmed into your Amazon assistant are some fun Easter eggs that will show you that Alexa’s got a sense of humour — maybe that’s a sign of the coming AI apocalypse, but for now, let’s have fun with it. Oh and while you’re at it, be sure to check out some of the fun Google Home easter eggs out there as well.
Alexa Easter eggs come in all shapes and sizes, but the general pop culture references are likely to be the biggest hits when you have friends over.
Try some of these voice cues if you want to get some references to everything from The Princess Bride to Ghostbusters to SpongeBob SquarePants.
- Alexa, my name is Inigo Montoya.
- Alexa, where’s Waldo?
- Alexa, where is Chuck Norris?
- Alexa, who you gonna call?
- Alexa, show me the money!
- Alexa, you talkin’ to me?
- Alexa, who lives in a pineapple under the sea?
- Alexa, more cowbell.
- Alexa, what’s the first rule of Fight Club?
- Alexa, what color is the dress?
This probably doesn’t deserve its own entry, but I can’t help chuckle at Alexa’s pop culture knowledge base. If you’re a fan of Douglas Adams, you may get some vitally important information from Alexa — if you know what question to ask.
- Alexa, what’s the answer to life, the universe, and everything?
Get to know Alexa
You’ll quickly realize Alexa has a pretty self-aware sense of humour with some of these basic questions about her too.
- Alexa, who is better, you or Siri?
- Alexa, can you pass the Turing test?
- Alexa, do you have a boyfriend?
- Alexa, what do you think about Google Now?
In a galaxy far far away…
Some of Alexa’s pop culture references come off as a little fan-ish, as with the slew of Star Wars-specific Alexa Easter Eggs you’ll be able to tap into.
If you’re a Star Wars fan, it’ll take you a while to get through all of the in-jokes you can share with Alexa, but here are a few to get you started.
- Alexa, may the force be with you.
- Alexa, do or do not.
- Alexa, are you a Jedi?
- Alexa, that’s no moon.
- Alexa, I am your father.
- Alexa, can you talk like Yoda?
- Alexa, these aren’t the droids you’re looking for.
- Alexa, do or do not.
- Alexa, are you a Jedi?
Beam me up
If you’re more of a Trekkie, Alexa won’t let you down either.
- Alexa, what is the Prime Directive?
- Alexa, engage!
- Alexa, live long and prosper.
- Alexa, beam me up.
- Alexa, set phasers to kill.
- Alexa, fire photon torpedoes.
- Alexa, make it so.
- Alexa, warp 10.
Welcome to Hogwarts
I’m starting to think there may be some nerds working at Amazon. Alexa has some solid jokes for the YA crowd, too, so try some of these Harry Potter jokes when you have a chance.
- Alexa, I solemnly swear that I am up to no good.
- Alexa, expelliarmous.
- Alexa, lumos.
- Alexa, stupefy.
- Alexa, wingardium leviosa.
- Alexa, imperio.
- Alexa, alohamora.
From Westeros with Love
Seriously, my girl Alexa knows her fandoms! For all you Game of Thrones nerds out there, give some of these Alexa Easter eggs a try.
- Alexa, winter is coming.
- Alexa, what does Jon Snow know?
- Alexa, who is the mother of dragons?
- Alexa, hold the door.
- Alexa, the night is dark and full of terrors.
- Alexa, what do we say to death?
All your base are belong to us
If you thought Alexa Easter eggs would limit their geekiness to the world of movies and TV, think again. Alexa’s clearly no stranger to the gaming world, and can draw on gaming trends, history, and memes to get a rise out of you.
If you’re into video games, give a few of these a try.
- Alexa, up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, B, A, start.
- Alexa, all your base are belong to us.
- Alexa, is the cake a lie?
- Alexa, does this unit have a soul?
- Alexa, do a barrel roll!
Alexa can make you roll your eyes as well as any well-seasoned dad at a family barbecue. Her awful dad jokes are seemingly endless. Go ahead and have some fun throwing these dad-joke softballs at her.
- Alexa, why is six afraid of seven?
- Alexa, see you later alligator.
- Alexa, which comes first: the chicken or the egg?
- Alexa, how do I get rid of a dead body?
- Alexa, how are babies made?
- Alexa, why did the chicken cross the road?
And last but not least, Alexa seems to be a bit of a music lover. Her tastes clearly run along pop and top 40 lines, but there’s nothing wrong with that.
If you want to have some fun with music lyrics, try a few of these Alexa Easter eggs out.
- Alexa, never gonna give you up.
- Alexa, how many roads must a man walk down?
- Alexa, do you really want to hurt me?
- Alexa, play that funky music.
- Alexa, my milkshake brings all the boys to the yard.
- Alexa, what is love?
- Alexa, who is the real Slim Shady?
- Alexa, who shot the sheriff?
- Alexa, do you believe in life after love?
There are a lot of Alexa Easter eggs, so obviously this list is just a small sampling, but it should get you started having fun with your Amazon virtual assistant.
Have any favorite Alexa Easter eggs we didn’t mention? Let us know in the comments, and give your fellow readers a chance to get in on the fun.